Carton Flow Racking Systems
What Is Carton Flow Racking?
Carton flow racking can be either a stand-alone unit or a fully integrated system that operates in the concept of a first-in, first-out (FIFO) inventory management process. Many of these systems offer pallet storage at the top of the rack with carton-picking abilities on the bottom half. Once a worker removes a carton from the storage rack, the next carton automatically flows to the forefront, minimizing a picker’s retrieval times and maximizing process efficiency.
These systems are perfect for increasing an operation’s safety levels because they reduce the strains associated with repetitive bending, reaching and pulling. The streamlined organization also maximizes your facility’s overall storage space. Several examples of the industry types that utilize these systems are warehousing and distribution, light assembly, food and beverage, medical manufacturing and commercial printing.
Considerations for Gravity Flow Pallet Racking
Two of the most common carton flow racking system designs are flexible bed flow and select lane flow. Both systems offer unique advantages for specific operation types.
- Flexible bed flow: Bed flow uses full-flow rollers to deliver sturdy support and continuous flow. The laneless design accommodates various carton sizes, allowing boxes to move through any rack location without needing to reconfigure the lanes. These systems work well for high product turnover, e-commerce and seasonal operations.
- Select lane flow: Select flow uses tracks with predetermined widths based on a specific carton size. These tracks provide full support and smooth flow from the stocking phase through the picking position. These systems are ideal for distribution operations that do repetitive work with consistent carton sizes.
Benefits of a Carton Flow Racking System
Carton flow rack systems provide many benefits to workers and a distribution facility’s overall operation, including:
- Increased productivity: Carton flow systems minimize the time a picker takes to retrieve a product while offering more productive ergonomics.
- Eliminates interference: Enables the restocking and picking operations to work independently and avoid interference.
- Streamlined inventory management: The gravity feeding promotes FIFO inventory usage and optimal product rotation.
- Pallet storage: Carton flow systems allow the installation of pallet storage solutions at the rack’s higher levels.
- Modularity: Workers can easily dismantle and reconfigure gravity flow rack systems in locations within the same warehouse or other facilities.
- Enhanced organization: Carton flow racks increase a warehouse’s organization by separating product types, optimizing workspaces and offering dedicated picking aisles and stocking lanes.
Find Gravity Flow Pallet Racking Solutions at Tennessee Rack
If you’re interested in learning more about how our carton flow racking systems can benefit your operation, the experts at Tennessee Rack can guide you. We’ll walk you through all the available options and help you select the most practical solution for your facility. Call 615-722-4281 or contact us online today to get started.